Freelance content writing can be an exciting career both part time and full time. It can be pursued by work at home moms, students and even professionals who want to make some extra bucks. There is no dearth of writing work in the world and if you can provide quality articles, it should net you a handsome income in no time. But there are some pitfalls along the way as well. Let me list the most important tips to succeed as a freelance writer.
- Sign up with a freelance writing website. Check some reviews to find out how good the website is before signing up. Most such websites allow a free sign up. But some may ask for a small fee to become a member. Considering the popularity of the website you can pay to join as well.
- Once joined, you need to choose the skills that you possess. It is very important to choose them carefully as you will be getting job notifications and offers based on these skills.
- Create a portfolio for yourself. While bidding for a job, you need convince the employer that you are the best person for this job. As a beginner, it will be difficult but never impossible. Create a good sales pitch which should include what you can do, why you are reliable person and what value add you can give the employer.
- Write a few articles on some different topics such as product reviews, health and fitness etc. Give them as examples of your writing to the employer.
- While deciding on the amount to charge, don’t be greedy. But asking too low is not fair as well. The rule of the thumb is to ask a little less than the experienced writers bidding for the job. It will increase your chances.
- Always go for partial payment options. There are many fake employers in the market. To be safe from them, check their ratings too. Ask for some payment after completing a certain percentage of the job and take the rest once it is finished. That way, you can avert the risk of getting no payment after finishing the job.
- Always go for payment through the website that provided you the job. That way you get some protection in case the employer decides to betray you.
- Last but most important, hone your writing skills. Read up on latest writing techniques and practice a lot. Nothing can replace quality work and dedication.
- As you keep writing and getting jobs, you will definitely improve with time. Be sure to update your skills as you keep getting proficient in new skills.
- Always keep an amicable relationship with your clients. If you can make them happy, your chances of getting hired by them manifold. Many times, the employers know other employers too and can recommend you to them. That way you will never have a shortage of projects to work on.
- be sure to increase your rates as you gain experience. You will be amazed to know that employers are ready to pay handsome amounts for people who can provide quality work on a timely basis.
I hope these guides will help you become a successful freelance content writer and generate a steady income stream. In case of any doubts, reply to this blog. I will be more than happy to help out.