A very rare brain eating Amoeba, “Naegleria Fowleri”, has caused the death of an American teenage girl in Ohio. 18 year old Lauren Seitz was exposed to contaminated water at the U.S. National Whitewater Centre in Charlotte. The amoeba induced Meningoencephalitis which caused her demise. The occurrences of Naegleria Fowleri infection is extremely rare and almost always fatal. According to Centre for Disease Control, US, only 133 cases of such infection has occurred in the last 53 years and only 3 people have survived.
The amoeba enters the body through the nose and reaches the brain. It starts showing its presence after roughly 5 days. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, headache and fever. It causes a condition called “Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis” or “Naegleriasis” which rapidly destroys brain cells. The bacteria uses the brain as a food source and eats brain cells and tissues. The victim usually dies withing 5 dies from when the symptoms surface. This year this is the third death caused by Naegleria Fowleri.